Friday, January 30, 2009

A Pacific Grove Find

Lately I have become smitten with the Monterey Peninsula. Surely Point Lobos, Big Sur, Passionfish, and even the Monterey Bay Aquarium have something to do with that. But on a recent trip, I stayed at the Anton Inn in Pacific Grove and found it to be a funky alternative to the Victorian style that dominates lodgings in the region. I called the week of my trip and was able to score one night (usually they have a 2-night minimum on weekends) for half the price of the listed rate (under $100!). And though there were a few drawbacks--no cable TV or WiFi connection and an ok breakfast--I found the motor inn/art gallery a delightful place to stay--especially with a child.

If you fancy yourself an art lover, or just want to stay at a low-key spot without some chatty owner blabbing about her collection of porcelain dolls, this is the spot for you.

No comments: